Sunday, June 13, 2010


I've been working on this sock monster for almost a month... sketching out how I thought I would piece him together, over and over. In the end I scrapped everything I'd sketched and got down to business yesterday with a new design. In order to keep his tail as one piece with his body (instead of cutting it separately and sewing it on) I decided he should be in a 'laying down' type position . That let me take advantage of the full length of the extra long sock I'd purchased for him. I spent about 13-14 hours on him and at the end (before I added the horns) I was slightly disappointed to see that, while cute enough, I thought he looked more like an anteater with wings than a dragon! lol BUT I stitched up some felt horns, stuffed them, added them to his head and VOILA! We have a dragon! Funny how something so small can make all the difference! :)

He is my biggest sock monster to date, almost TWO FEET long from nose to tail!! Definitely the most complicated and time intensive as well. But totally worth it. My friend/customer LOVES it and her adorable grandson will hopefully love it as well! :) I'd love to be able to make more of these at a later date... after I get caught up on the MANY Lens Pets™ I need to finish up right now. Speaking of... I'm off to sew some more.  I have 3 sock monsters to get done in the next couple days so I will be busy, busy, busy! :)

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Great blog with unique creations and beautiful photos!!

    Sweet greetings, Saskia :)