I think this week's monsters are my most unique. :) They're much bigger than the rest of my monsters as well and I LOVE them. You can't help but grin every time you look at them! They camp out on the back of the chaise sitting next to my desk. The light pink one is an Iffiet, the dark pink one is a Trolliak.
Usually they sit there nicely, they're very well behaved monsters. :) But the sun was out today and when I walked outside with the dog I found the Iffiet and the Trolliak climbing trees in the front yard! ;)
The very talented plush designer behind these unique monsters is Megan of Green Elevator Industries. Megan took a few minutes out of her busy monster making day to give us a little behind the scenes info... read on!
-Tell us a bit about yourself.
Greetings! My name is Megan Barbour and I'm a plush designer originally from Ohio, now based in Brooklyn, New York. During the day I'm a project manager/producer at a media arts company, and 90% of my time outside of the office is spent getting my craft on. The other 10% is spent playing games with the wonderful cast of silly characters in my life, running, traveling, biking, and telling very bad jokes.
-What is your shop name and is there a story behind it?
My shop is named "Green Elevator." When I first moved to New York, I met my dear friend Steff who lived in my apartment building. She and I instantly bonded over how much we loved cheese and crafts. We spent most weekends crafting up a storm, and decided one night we should form a business. This idea was formed less out of the desire to make money, and more for wanting to make a million crafts and not really NEEDING all of them taking over our apartments. We decided to form our business while riding upstairs in the elevator. Steff said "We should call it something silly like... ::looks around:: Green Elevator, so we don't fuss over the name forever." Agreed. Done. Green Elevator was born. I should also note that this is a very GREEN painted elevator that we often joked about. Apparently, our landlord loves the color as it also appeared in the lobby, hallways, doors, and bathroom walls...
-How did you get started making monsters?
Another one of my craftastic friends, Kaitlin, inspired me to learn to crochet a few years ago. Once I did, she sent me a link to an article about "amigurumi" (which I had never even heard of at the time). I wanted to crochet a little mouse to cheer up my desk at work, and just never got around to stop making creatures. I crocheted basic animals at first, then more abstract creatures, then gave sewing a try with some scrap fabric, then fleece, and now fur has taken over my life.
-What inspires and motivates you to create?
I've always loved making things. At this point, I can't imagine not creating something on a daily basis, so I really don't need any motivation outside of my obsessive natural desire to do so. I draw inspiration from all things silly in my life - which tends to be quite a bit.
-If you could have one super power, what would it be and why?
Flying. That is over done and predictable but I don't care - it would be awesome.
-Top 5 favorite foods, tv shows, and bands?
1. Chinese food. Not authentic. not fancy. cheap, greasy, delivery Chinese food.
5. Annie's Mac & Cheese
2. 30 Rock
4. The Gilmore Girls
5. The Daily Show/ Colbert Report
1. Tilly and the Wall
2. The New Pornographers
3. The Beatles
4. Mason Jennings
5. David Bowie
-3 etsy shops you just LOVE?
There are about a thousand shops I LOVE, so I will narrow it down to Plush and then narrow it down again to three shops that were big inspirations to me when I first started out.
-One year from now, I hope...
1. Start doing craft shows/gallery work on a more regular basis.
2. Officially go nonprofit with Green Elevator. I'm working out some of the details now.
3. Continue to grow creatively and expand my technical skill set.
4. Integrate Green Elevator with a free teach/learn group that Steff and I formed to spread the power of craft.
-Where can we find you on the internet?
Megan and the original Iffiet (mine is an extra special one thanks to those BIG rainbow horns)
Go check her out! Her work is phenomenal!! And don't forget to check back next Monday for another peek at some great monsters!